Size does matter when it comes to the perception of space in a home. That’s why it is important to make sure you show off every square foot of your listing so that buyers can visualize enough room for all their belongings.
However, homeowners often crowd spaces with oversized furniture, bulky accessories, and piles of clutter that makes a room look much smaller than it really is, according to the International Association of Home Staging Professionals.
So how can you show off that space in your listings? Besides the obvious task of removing clutter, try these simple ideas:
1. Scale down the furniture: By having too many large pieces of furniture in a small room, space can feel more cramped. Select smaller-scale furniture over large, chunky options. A good choice: furniture with wooden legs or un-skirted chairs, so that you can see through the furniture to the floor underneath to open up a room.
2. Beware of overly busy patterns: Too many bold patterns in a room with fabrics and accent pieces can make a room feel smaller. Big prints, bold plaids, and large floral patterns can be too busy for a small space. Stick to solids and use texture in fabrics to add interest.
3. Lighten Up: Dark colors absorb the light making small rooms look even smaller. The general color rule for small spaces is lighter is better. Lighter colors on walls — such as creams, light blues, light greens, tan, and soft yellows — help expand the room. Plus, softer, cooler tones are soothing and relaxing, she adds.
4. Add height: Bring in anything that is tall to show off the height of the space. Whether it’s a piece of furniture, such as a bookcase, or an object like a tall tree, the height of the object will draw the eye upwards. Also in a house where you want to show off the height, hang the curtains above the normal window’s top level. To widen the window, tie the curtains back with a rope tieback.
5. Use the reflection: Hang mirrors on walls to help add visual space. When the room is reflected in the mirror, it can make us feel like there is more space as we see ‘another room’ in the mirror. Mirrors can also reflect light and views, which will help lighten up the room and make it feel open and airy. xxx