As the weather varies each winter, there is a chill in the air and that usually means the heater is running inside. This is a good time to give your houseplants some additional attention. Here is a general list of helpful houseplant care tips:
- Keep houseplants out of drafts and in the brightest spot possible.
- Increase humidity around tropical plants.
- Reduce fertilization, but continue watering (may water less often, but the same amount). Make sure your water is room temperature.
- Address any insect and disease problems.
- Keep plants clean by gently wiping or rinsing.
Also, you can:
- Give extra protection on chilly nights by closing drapes and making sure plants do not touch the cold glass.
- Give your holiday cactus a rest this month, by watering sparingly but keeping it in indirect light.
- Plant into a new pot any indoor plants that are pot-bound.
- Cover or wrap new houseplants when transporting to keep them from cold air on the trip home.